SUDOP PRAHA a.s. is one of the oldest design and engineering organisations in the Czech Republic. Its history dates back to the late 1930s, when design centres were being established as part of the Czechoslovak State Railways and the Ministry of Railways. After 1945, the Railway Design Centre was established; after its merger in the 1950s with other smaller organisations, a nationwide design institute was formed, called, as of November 17 1953, the Government Transport Design Institute (Státní ústav dopravního projektování - SUDOP). Initially, the Institute was part of the Ministry of Transport, becoming an independent government-owned corporation later on.
In 1991, the organisation was split into several independent regional government-run companies. Back then, SUDOP PRAHA s.p. became the legal successor of the original Institute and on April 1 1992, the corporation was transformed into a joint stock company called SUDOP PRAHA a.s. and privatised. The sole shareholder is SUDOP International a.s., fully owned by SUDOP GROUP a.s